So you want a Fiancé Visa?

Found love in a different place? We get it, it happens! Now, what should you do? Well, here’s what you need to know…

What is a Fiancé Visa?

A fiancé visa allows you to file a I-129F, allowing you, an U.S citizen, permission to bring over your foreign fiancé in order to get married.

Who is eligible?

  1. U.S citizens. Only citizens may be able to apply for their Fiancé visa (if you need information on how to become a U.S Citizen, click here)
  2. After admission into the U.S, couple must intend to marry within 90 days of arrival.
  3. All previous marriages from both side must be legally terminated and both individuals must be free to marry.
  4. Within two years of filing application, both U.S citizen and fiancé have met at least once.

What’s the cost?

Cost varies depending on different cases, consult with Sean Lewis before sending in your application.


According to travel.state.gov, fees include…

    • Filing an Alien Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F
    • Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee, Form DS-160 (required for each K visa applicant)
    • Medical examination (required for each K visa applicant; costs vary from post to post)
    • Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and travel expenses to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case.
    • Filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

What’s the application process? Need more information? Click here. 

Basic steps include:

  1. Filing a I-129F to petition fiance
  2. Applying for Visa Application
  3. Inspection at a Port of Entry
  4. Marriage
  5. Status Change – Permanent Residency

How do I learn about getting a Social Security card?

Click here.

What’s the timeline?

Although everyone wants to know an exact timeline, there isn’t. The process varies case to case. Not to mention, how correct the paperwork and forms are filled out. Process can take longer if a form is missing or filled out incorrectly, therefore, in order to ensure a quicker process, consult with Sean Lewis.

What comes after permanent residence?

On a “regular basis” there are requirements that allow for naturalization…

What are those requirements?

According to USCIS…

  1. Continuous residence: Live in the United States as a permanent resident for a specific amount of time.
  2. Physical presence: Show that you have been physically present in the United States for specific time periods.
  3. Time in state or USCIS district: Show that you have lived in your state or USCIS district for a specific amount of time.
  4. Good moral character: Show that you have behaved in a legal and acceptable manner.
  5. English and civics: Know basic English and information about U.S. history and government.
  6. Attachment to the Constitution: Understand and accept the principles of the U.S. Constitution.


Want to read more about this? Check out this PDF, page 101.